Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Roasted Veggies

Sliced and chopped
When OXO announced their SLICE IT UP blogger competition I started here; however, once I started slicing and chopping, I couldn't stop. Do you remember the scene in "The Long Kiss Goodnight" when Geena Davis realizes she has some knife skills in the kitchen? Well, maybe not like that, but this isn't a new problem. Whenever an incredible array of organic produce is at my fingertips, I want to roast it or grill it. Tonight was a roasting night. The best part of this recipe is that two trays will easily work their way into at least two meals. In this case, they served as a side dish to ravioli on the first night and alongside teriyaki chicken over brown rice on the second night.

We love our roasted vegetables in this house. I will add them to pasta, throw them in a tortilla with a little salsa and sour cream, add the to soups or serve them alongside meat. To be honest, I am not a snob when it comes to my roasted veggies. I will eat them hot. I will eat them cold. I will eat them with kosher salt and pepper and fresh rosemary. I will eat them with reduced balsamic. I will eat them plain. If it were up to me, they would be part of every meal.

When slicing and chopping, err on the side of making your pieces too big; however, you want them to be consistent. This is where the mandoline is really handy with the sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini and yellow squash. Small pieces cook to quickly and tend to burn or get mushy. Throw some whole cloves of garlic in and you get a treasure hunt when serving. I usually add 10 cloves or so at the request of my family. I usually chop and slice everything and then break my veggies into two groups: slow roasters and quick roasters.

S  l  o  w roasters:
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Parsnips
  • Turnips
  • Carrots
  • Cauliflower
Quick roasters:
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Asparagus
  • Red, yellow and orange peppers
  • Broccoli
  • Zucchini
  • Yellow squash
This time I used sweet potatoes, red onions, asparagus, peppers and broccoli.

 Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 475° and place two large baking sheets inside.

2) Cut the sweet potato and the onion using an OXO mandoline on the 3/4" setting. Slice the peppers into inch wide strips and cut the broccoli into florets.

3) Toss the sweet potato with 1 tbsp of olive oil and slide onto hot baking sheet, making sure they are in one layer. Set timer for 10 minutes.

4) Toss onions, asparagus, peppers and broccoli with 2 tbsp of olive oil. When the timer goes off, add these veggies onto the second sheet and give the sweet potato sheet a good shake. Set the timer for 15 minutes.

5) After 15 minutes, check all of the veggies. There should be a little roasting color, but no burning. If you need a little more time, check every 4 minutes.

6) Remove all veggies from the oven and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve immediately.

Ready to eat roasted veggies
Side note: Tonight I added a few dollops of rosemary, garlic and lemon butter I made for our steaks earlier in the week. It was a first and it WILL be repeated. (Add 1/2 c room temperature butter, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, 2 tbsp fresh rosemary and 5 cloves of garlic to a mason jar. Use a hand mixer to completely chop and mix the ingredients. Scoop into a square of wax paper and create a roll of butter, making sure it is completely covered. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and then you have a delicious flavored butter. Dollop away and add it to EVERYTHING - including your just grilled steaks.)



14 comments:

  1. I love grilled or roasted vegetables too. I just brush with a little evoo and some salt and pepper. Sometimes I will grate a little cheese over the top or a splash a little balsamic vinegar over them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so colourful! I love roasted veggies too, and usually do a huge tray of mixed root veggies with olive oil, whole garlic cloves and rosemary. Yummy! Great with grilled fish:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. These are the cooking ruts I fall into. They are oh so good and everything I cook ends up having roasted root veggies during the winter. It could be worse, right?

      Delete
  3. Mmmm, really wanting some roasted veggies now instead of this lemon Theraflu.
    I've never preheated the baking sheet when roasting mine - is this something I should have been doing? I will try that next time. Which is hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope you feel better soon!

      Heating the baking sheets first is a trick I learned from my cousin. You get a good sizzle on the bottom and more even cooking. It works like a charm!

      Delete
  4. My standard roasted vegetables are with kosher salt, balsamic and olive oil. It makes my plate look a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? Put anything next to these and your meal looks better! Put them on top of a pizza with some goat cheese and yumminess happens.

      Delete
  5. Ok, you've convinced me to get one of those OXO slicers! We LOVE roasted veggies in this house, but I hate slicing the veggies and eventually get lazy :-/ Also, I too want to know the reason for preheating the pans! I've never heard of this before but willing to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hate it as well, but now it is such a quick job. Heating the pans improved the final outcome tremendously. Overall cooking time is faster and more even.

      Delete
  6. Val, this looks so freakin' yummy! I can't wait til the veggies in my garden are ready. They are almost there! My herbs are growing all over the place. I have so many, I'm giving them away. Thanks for the recipe and I hope you win the contest!
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I'm a fan of roasting as well. Have you slow roasted green cabbage? Try slicing it into wedges, drizzling with olive oil and sea salt and a dash of freshly ground pepper. It's yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another yummy recipe for my family. I think my girls would happily make this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so gorgeous!!! I love roasted vegetables, it brings out so much flavor in the veggies. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.