Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Garden for Four

Oh garden. I am so sorry for the neglect you have faced this winter. Ok, not really.

On November 22, 2010 the best product from our garden arrived with an operatic scream that made all of the nurses raise their eyes. Our sweet Lil Miss arrived and has been a blessing in our lives ever since. As I mentioned, she does have a set of pipes that can make your ears bleed, but she knows what she wants and when she wants it. Stay tuned for how that develops in the teen years.

Our Lil Miss is a product of our garden. Starting last January, The Good Apple, The Lil Man and I started to plan our garden. It was the perfect distractor to keep me from thinking that the doc said we would not be having baby #2 and it worked. The GA built our beautiful garden beds, we filled them with 13 yards of fertile soil, spent evenings flipping through our seed catalogs picking the perfect combination of veggies and herbs, made our order, planted our seeds, watered and waited. I was telling a friend that I had great news (my tomatoes had arrived!) and she asked if I was pregnant. I laughed and then ordered 3 pregnancy tests from Amazon.com with overnight shipping. Living on an island, you don't just walk into the drugstore to buy these items without an audience. Then I found out I was pregnant (after taking all 3 tests to confirm the news). Seriously, just like that. Crazy.

So while Lil Miss was growing in me, I was watching our beautiful garden grow. Whenever we had a garden failure I would panic, but then I would find 20 more wonderful little successes and sigh a deep breath of relief. Several crops were neglected but others flourished and the garden gave us a visual on the growth our family was experiencing and it nourished us mind, body and soul.

This year, we are aiming for a simpler garden. Ok, so I couldn't even type that with a straight face. But really, it is. The seeds arrived two days ago and I can't wait to pop those peas into the ground this weekend. It will always be a celebration of a winter when a special surprise came by way of a family starting a garden.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh this makes me feel better. Thank you!! Its so freightening to have someone tell you a second child might not be an option. There is something to letting all the stress go and being in a good headspace and not over thinking it.

    Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to have you here Mama Sarita. We are all in this crazy world together. Breathe easy and throw it to the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to have you here Mama Sarita. We are all in this crazy world together. Breathe easy and throw it to the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story! How can you help but call her "sweet pea" or "lil punkin"... maybe "sugar beet"....Ok, I'll stop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story! It will be a great one to share with your "little vegetable" when she is all grown-up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very sweet. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.