Monday, August 22, 2011

Soup's On: Chicken Enchilada Soup

Yes, it is still August, but I knew it was time when I woke up to rain and the thermometer read 59 degrees. Today would be a soup day and I found just the recipe I wanted to tweak, so here it is and it did get "repeater" status from the family.



Chicken Enchilada Soup a la Crockpot
Serves 8


Ingredients:
4 cups of organic chicken stock
2 boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts
28 oz. can of organic diced tomatoes*
3 tsp. cumin
3 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cayenne
4 jalapeƱos, seeded and minced 
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced
2 cups of frozen organic corn
1- 15 oz. can of organic black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup corn masa
8 oz. shredded pepper jack cheese

For garnish:
Cilantro
Cotija Cheese (we used Beecher's Cheese Curds)

Place all ingredients, up to and including the tomato paste, into the crockpot. Gently mix together. Turn on High setting and walk away...for at least 4 1/2 hours!!

At the end of cook time, use an immersion mixer 4-5 times quickly in the pot. Add pepper jack cheese and stir until melted. Sprinkle in masa little by little while gently mixing with a wooden spoon.  Top with your garnished of choice and serve hot.


Notice the half empty bowl!! He chowed it down and the hubby had two bowls full!!

** Canned tomatoes are an item I use frequently, but not without reservation. I am in the process of looking for an affordable alternative and I am open to suggestions. If I could can my own, I would.

3 comments:

  1. Who would have thought this would be the perfect meal for late August? Making this soon unless the weather takes a drastic turn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 59 degrees?! I won't see that for months, but I will be making this soup since I know my kid's would love it! I wish I had a solution to your tomatoe problem. Can you grow tomatoes where you live so you can can your own? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks amazing! I'm definitely going to make it this week...I think I even have all of the ingredients! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.