Wednesday, August 31, 2011

CSA Heaven

Today I picked up our first CSA share from Heritage Farm. Blissed out. As I drove up the dirt road past the pastures, past the farm stand, past the gardens and to the little red store I felt a huge sense of joy. Was this because I had a new lens and family in the van to watch over the kids? A little. Cam met me inside and showed me the ropes and the beautiful tomatoes I will be canning tomorrow. Giddy. Seriously, I was giddy. Camera out and bag in hand I didn't know what to do first. Pictures of those luscious tomatoes left for me to weigh and purchase. Lucky me! 




On her way out she told me to grab a bouquet of fresh flowers, I almost started crying.



 When I came to the Heritage to collect my shares two years ago, I loved it. I appreciated it.


Honestly, I didn't, not the way I do now. After two summers of growing on my own, I have a tremendous amount of respect for what these hard working and talented people present us with each Tuesday. It is truly a gift. I gathered my share and then grabbed the handful of items from the fridge.


I stepped back outside and sighed a big heavy sigh as I looked out across the long rows of cabbage, lettuces, zinnias and more...and more. On the far side, I spied a gathering of sunflowers with their golden faces aglow and their feet busy with Nasturciums. Oh dear. Waterworks. I couldn't help it. I can't grow sunflowers. I have tried and tried. Seeds, seedlings, some starts did ok, but nothing like these magestic giants. Bees were doing their thing and the sunflowers just towered. I believe if there were to be royalty in the plant kingdom, the Queen would definitely be the Sunflower.




 
Here is this week's pick up list:



  • Bagged chard
  • Bagged mizuna
  • Beets
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cucumbers: slicing and pickling
  • Fennel
  • Flower Bouquet
  • Garlic
  • Herbs: basil, korean mint, summer savory, parsley
  • Kale
  • Onions
  • Potatoes: blushing duchess and all red
  • Scarlet runner beans
  • String beans: yellow wax and royal burgundy
  • Summer squash: zucchini, eight ball zucchini, crook-neck and patty pan
  • Tomatoes: cherry, stupice and heirlooms
  • Turnips



Yes, this is for THIS WEEK. And you wonder why I feel like I am in heaven?


For dinner we BBQed local steaks, had crash potatoes and grilled carrots, zucchini, and crookneck squash. A big hit for everyone at the table.


Any suggestions for the rest of the week?


4 comments:

  1. Val, that is a beautiful sight! I am now missing all of our fresh vegetables since we are done with the spring garden. How about a lovely quiche with some of the vegetables? I like little new potatoes boiled with green beans and then seasoned lightly. I have always found that keeping it simple and letting the taste of the food come through is the best, but that's just me :) Enjoy.
    PS- the flowers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful fresh vegetables! Nothing really competes with freshness. Too bad there's not much of it around here.

    I just wanted to let you know about our recipe directory, if you're interested. Also, When you have a chance, please come and meet us over at voiceBoks.com. It is a great site that allows women to engage and really connect with each other. You won't find the same unpromising atmosphere that you normally do elsewhere. Our site allows you to gain INSTANT followers (yes, they really do follow, you'll see), INCREASE YOUR TRAFFIC, and have a chance to connect with some great women. The traffic we generate for our members is usually VERY good considering we're a fairly new site. In just 1 month after our relaunch, we accumulated over 18,000 posts and 365,500 page visits! Please come take a look and I guarantee you will be impressed with the results.

    You may also check out these sites for testimonials of our site:

    Best Social Network of the Year

    A Great Blogging Community for Moms

    and... Top 10 Blogs for Work at Home Moms

    Hope to see you there!

    Sincerely,

    Lexie Lane
    www.voiceboks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks like heaven. i love that you've learned enough to understand just how devoted a farmer has to be to grow as they do. really beautiful post!

    xoxo,c

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, you are so right about really understanding what farmers go through after having a garden. I love my little garden, but as small as it is, it's A LOT of work!

    I can never grow sunflowers either!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.