Tuesday, February 21, 2012

National Pancake Day





Happy National Pancake Day! In honor of this glorious day (and since we frequently eat pancakes) I HAD to treat my kids to a plate full of cakes. Not just any pancakes would do, I knew they needed to be a little bit special. Lately I have been reading a lot about the Paleo Diet and many of the underlying principles work for me, except the no grain part. We are slowly working dairy out of our diet, in the form of cheddar and mozzarella cheese; however, I am a breadmaker and I am 1/8 Sicilian. I need my pasta.

While skipping through the pages of Pinterest last night, I came across dozens and dozens of pancake recipes and then I saw one that was Paleo. Really?!? Banana, peanut butter, egg, cinnamon and vanilla. Well it sounded good.

These babies need to be on low low heat and they take awhile. Also, they suggest using a non-stick pan and those do not exist in my house. So I used a tiny bit of butter to grease the pan. WHAT?!? Stop judging me like that. I never claimed to be Paleo!

Back to the pancakes. The consistency was new for me. Both kids, who are normally adventurous eaters, poo-pooed them. I chalked it up to the fact that they are sick. If I was a diet-minded person or a gluten-free person, I would try them again. Since I am not, I might have to throw in a tablespoon of whole wheat flour next time. Yes, flour.

Here is the link to Appetite for Health's recipe. They are called "Protein Pancakes". Now don't go lathering these babies up with maple syrup or anything like that. I will make another round for the kids tomorrow (yes, I do use whole wheat flour AND flaxseed). If you would like more breakfast and pancake recipes you can check out my Pinterest Breakfast Page .

Do you have a favorite pancake recipe?

Photobucket


1 comment:

  1. My favorite pancake recipe is the old-fashioned, white flour kind (the horror!!) Although I've thought long and hard about introducing some healthier elements - King Arthur whole-wheat white flour, for instance. Hmmm...I think that's something I may just do soon!

    Your cakes look pretty yummy! Love the peanut butter element!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.