Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How Does Your Garden Grow? {March 27, 2012}

Well here we are! I am so excited to be writing this post and to see who joins me in this process. Feel free to join / observe / comment / question anytime.

Here is what made it into the ground this weekend:

Since this is my official first post for this event, I will tell you what we have in the ground at this moment:
  • Asparagus
  • Carrots
  • Chard
  • Garlic
  • Leeks
  • Lettuce
  • Kale
  • Onions
  • Peas - Shelling and Snap
  • Radishes
  • Spinach
  • Strawberries

Nothing is ready to eat...but the following are sprouting from seed now!

  • Peas...YES, the peas made it this year without any Towhee interference, courtesy of some serious netting. I found that if I left the netting a little long and placed long boards along the base, the little thieves birds couldn't get in there. Originally, I had put up the string trellises which was like a welcome sign to a bird buffet that protected them from larger predators. Safe AND a full bar. When I just stretched bird netting down to the soil, they found their way into the bed and cleared me out. This is my best lesson learned from last spring and summer.
  • Spinach
  • Radishes
  • Lettuce
  • Carrots (from the fall)

I have placed my metal trellises over my wine barrels. Spinach, peas and radishes were planted there two weeks ago. Over the trellises, I have placed every bamboo stake in my possession in various positions. Someone told me that raccoons don't like getting tangled up, so I am hoping this is doing the job and it is keeping the birds away from the seeds. The sticks have been found spread here and there several times, so I am just hoping they are doing their job. Fingers crossed.

    This weekend we were able to finally get in and really work the garden. The sun was shining, the air was cool against our cheeks and we had our favorite tools in hand. For me, that would be my trowel (which I bent...grrr) and for the Good Apple, it was his chain saw (he was doing some BIG work).

    As I was digging my hands into the loose and loamy soil and as the GA was clearing space for more garden space, I found an unrelenting gnarl tightening in my gut about what to do about our deer and raccoon situation. We invest in our garden because it is important to us. Last year, we lost strawberries, raspberries, cherry tomatoes, squash flowers and peas to their bellies and it was heartbreaking to come out and see another stem topped off. We are trying these little smelly contraptions around our tulips since they already started eating those and they are just green shoots at this point. I placed chicken wire around one bed, where the garlic and onions live, to keep the raccoons out and we placed bird netting over the other where I had just planted seeds. I am pretty sure we are going to drape bird netting over all of our beds, I am just really worried that this will happen again despite our best intentions. I am open to any suggestions. We don't have the funds to fence the area and well, I just don't think I will be turning into a hunter anytime soon. Any other ideas?

    I have to admit that it felt wonderful to push the straw aside and see rich, dark brown soil with earthworms wiggling their way through below. Onions were such a huge success for us last year, it just felt good to get them started again. I dug my parallel trenches: one deep for fertilizer and the other shallow for the onion bulbs. The bundle provides enough starts to create a single row in each of our larger beds when they are planted 4" apart. If you want to grow some for green onions, only 2" is needed. In that case, you harvest every other for green onions, which leaves 4" spacing for the onions that will be left behind to mature. When planting onions, you do not want to fertilize them directly, but by digging a parallel trench at about 4" deep. You want your fertilizer to have a middle number that is at least double the other two. For example, 10-20-10 would be adequate. This represents N-P-K or Nitrogen - Phosphorus - Potassium. Last year I added Fish Bone Meal (3-18-0) to the trench and had great success. This is also why I put up the chicken wire. You see, that fish bone meal smells pretty good to raccoons. We have learned that the same is true with Blood Meal.

    That was this week in a nutshell. Did I mention that these came in a special package while I was planting the onions?

    German Butterballs, French Fingerlings and Yukon Golds. The potato boxes were cleaned out and the potato bed is waiting. The box was moved to our pantry so the seed potatoes could grow some eyes. This concept freaked the Lil Man out, but I quickly explained. Phew! Disaster averted. (Had I thought about it for a moment, I would have delivered a more clever response that would have kept him out of the pantry.) We did well with potatoes last year as well and when it came time to unearth the little jewels, he thought it was better than hunting for Easter Eggs.

    The sunshine has left and we are due for a week of rain. At least that means, I won't have to water this week! Highs will be in the low 50s and the predicted low for the week is 41 which will keep us out of the frost zone.

    Now here is the part I have REALLY been waiting for...my fellow green thumbs, HOW DID YOUR GARDEN GROW this week?



     

    19 comments:

    1. Val, it all sounds great! It must be so nice to have warm enough weather to start planting your veggies now. I think it's great that you use your garden so much, when I was a kid my parents also were very serious gardeners and it's very nice to have those memories. I plant only flowers, I do have two pots of tomatoes but that's because my dad gives them to me for my boys. My roses seem to be coming in nicely and my peonies are starting to sprout so that is always exciting! When things start to really take off I will send you a picture! Take care my love! Congratulations and good luck with your new link up!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well you have two more pots of tomatoes than I will. I had 45 3 years ago, yes 45 and barely ended up with a dozen tomatoes. Live and learn. I can't wait to see pictures of your garden and PLEASE send some of your tomatoes, so I can drool. Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    2. Lovely. We use daffodils around the fruit trees and berries to deter gophers. For deer, my husband (in his old garden) used human and dog hair in and around the trees. Also, it's kinda gross, but they hate the smell of human pee. Around the perimeter of the garden. The book "Sepp Holzer's Permaculture" has a recipe in it for making your own stinky solution. Lots of people have reported great success with it. Luckily, our back garden is fenced in. Our front area is planted with only deer-resistent plants like Mediterranean herbs. Good luck!

      Here's my post about gardening mushrooms .

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We desperately need a fence, the way our yard is situated, the deer basically have a buffet. I will gladly mention your solution to the GA and the Lil Man. I am sure they would oblige.

        Your mushroom post is WONDERFUL! I am going to see if this is an area we can explore. Thank you for the introduction!

        Delete
    3. Oh Val, I'm going to be learning so much from you! :) I love that you've already planted yours so I can watch your posts and learn as I'll be a week or two behind you in the planting. We actually had freezing temperatures last night so I'm glad I waited. Where did I read this past week that planting garlic and onion around your beds keeps the critters away? Was that here?

      Here's my post about Gardening 101: Avoid Taking The Kids With You To Home Depot.
      http://christiansupermom.com/gardening-101-home-depot

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Your post is hysterical Rosann. Here is the hyperlink for the rest of you: Gardening 101: Avoid Taking The Kids With You To Home Depot

        It will be a treat to watch your experience as well. Sanding the wood for planter boxes...fancy. Be careful with the stain you use, make sure it is food friendly!

        Delete
    4. Oh my goodness, you've got so much planted already! That's awesome! You must have a huge area - could you take a photo of your set up? I'm excited to extract some of your expertise and use it in my little garden. Here's my link:

      http://www.whoopsidaisy-tonya.com/2012/03/how-does-your-garden-grow.html

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My gardening area is actually not that large, the potential area is large, the area already ready is 3 raised beds and a couple of peripheral beds. We add on every year. I will post pics next week and map out the garden. Great suggestion! Each year we add a little more and we are going on our 5th year. I am impressed with your start!

        Here is Tonya's link as a hyperlink: Gardening with Tonya

        Delete
    5. I hope you do this next year too! I'll have a garden then!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love the idea of being able to learn from other's experiences. Did you see Amber's post above on Mushroom Gardening? Too cool!! I am so impressed with what this group is bringing to one another through this medium. What a treat to be able to start a garden from scratch. There are definitely things I would have done differently, however, it is all part of the learning process, right? For example, a reader just asked if my onions were organic, they are not, but they come from a "safe seed" distributor, I use organic fertilizers, compost, and mulch. When I do need a pesticide, I have used things such as onion juice, lavender and even camomile tea. No chemical pesticides here. Learning. Always learning.

        Delete
    6. I am excited to see your harvest in the coming months! We don't plant anywhere near your level of garden, but I hope to someday! This year it's only tomatoes, squash and potatoes for us :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You have to start somewhere and once you do...you will be hooked! We have tried tomatoes time and again and now we are pretty convinced we could only grow them with a greenhouse, so we only plant cherry tomatoes. What kind of squash are you planting? It is one of our favorite parts of the garden.

        Start slow and add something on each year. It is all one big experiment.

        Delete
    7. Hooray! I've been looking forward to this for the past two weeks. Way to go Val in getting stuff in the ground. I still am prepping my soil (it won't be good for YEARS!) So everything is remaining under the grow light. I'm terrible with understanding the blog world, how do I join your hop?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Your yard is so impressive!! For everyone else, here is her link: Cynthia Sue

        Delete
    8. You love gardening as much as I do. love visiting your blog and getting great information. Please stop by my blog at http://www.harmsplace.com there is an award waiting there for you.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Here is the Cooking Lady link.
        I am so glad you have joined us!!! Thank you for the award, that is incredibly sweet of you. It is always so touching and humbling to find that other people are reading my posts. Thanks again.

        Delete
    9. I haven't planted anything yet but here is a post of what is growing
      http://loveitor.blogspot.com/2012/03/signs-of-spring-purple-and-yellow.html

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Here is Love It's post.
        I love the photo of the Johnny Jump Up in the snow. They really have a will to live!!

        Thank you for joining us here and we can't wait to see how your garden grows!

        Delete
    10. Love this blog! I voted for you on VoiceBoks as one of my favorite foodie blogs. Anything that promotes healthy eating is my cuppa tea, lol!
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.