Tuesday, June 12, 2012

How Does Your Garden Grow? {June 12, 2012}

This was the first week we were really able to harvest from the garden. Our chard and kale are growing growing and I have been sautéing sautéing. One night I added pea tendrils, which were so delicate and yummy, and last night I added garlic scapes. Now those little babies are d e l I c I o u s. Do not let them grow! Grab 'em and eat 'em (you don't want your bulbs to waste energy on flower production anyways). Serve them on top of this and ooh la la.

Little fingers are finally grabbing peas and yesterday, a voice shouted from the yard, "Woo hoo! Guess who is the luckiest kid in the world!?! Me! I just got the first strawberry!!" He did and he even shared a little nibble with me. So sweet...the strawberry and my Lil Man. The kids have turned into asparagus addicts, almost to the point where it is embarrassing. I know better than to serve it when we have guests now because their little eyes will drill a hole into the person who grabs the last spear and there are no guarantees that Lil Miss won't just grab it right off your plate.

Yesterday, Lil Miss and I were in the garden and she started breaking off asparagus tips and chowing. Next she went for some peas. Suddenly, I turned around and she had a fistful of grass going to her mouth! I guess she just figured she could keep on picking around her. I have to keep my eye on that one. Trouble.

As I have been using my greens this year, I can't get over the tenderness of the chard and kale. It is similar to spinach. Between the chard, kale, pea tendrils and garlic scapes, tenderness is the word that constantly comes to mind as I harvest, clean, prepare, serve and eat. Tenderness.

My herbs are growing beautifully. I will be able to use my Summer Savory by week's end. I caught myself just running my fingers through it yesterday and smelling it's delicate aroma. Ahhhhh. My little kitchen jars are really producing and I have already been plucking some dill and cilantro...which is all well and good, but I really want that basil to grow!! When I can use fresh basil for my Pesto Pecan Potato Salad, it will get kicked up a notch.

A friend had a plant sale this week and I just had to stop by. Three new artichoke plants and 3 new brussel sprout plants. To be honest, I was completely giddy. Seriously excited. Woo hoo! Weekend after next, they will get their own special place in the garden. No, I cannot stop planting and expanding.

Well more rain and then sun scheduled for this week! Here we go!

 

How is your garden doing?

 

(Photos to come)

 

10 comments:

  1. My daughter absolutely loves asparagus. She ate every piece I picked from the garden. I finally got around to taking pictures of the growing goodness. http://the-random-thoughts-in-my-head.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I can't wait to see what you have going on!! There is nothing like asparagus from the ground. We are getting really spoiled with our spring offerings this year. Num num num!

      Delete
  2. My flower garden is growing beautifully...I'm about to go out and plant a new day lily, some society garlic and ajuga around my stepping stones. All the tomato plants have little babies on them, and now that the temps are in the upper 90s the fruit will really start to kick into gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so jealous of your tomatoes! We won't see tomatoes here until late August, if we are lucky. I am giggling to myself about the Ajuga, you should come to my yard...I thought it was a weed!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I am hungry just reading this. All that green goodness. And I love the image of your asparagus hoarders. My boys adore asparagus too...we never, ever end up with leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about that very fact the other day Katie, these days we never end up with leftovers the way we used to. If we are lucky we get another lunch or two! I guess we should just be thankful that we have good little eaters.

      Delete
  4. How funny that your kiddos tried the first strawberry. That happened at our house this week too. Here's my link http://christiansupermom.com/gardening-strawberries I think I'm going to try to make your potato salad this week. Yum!

    Blessings,
    ~Rosann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sweet mama! I am going to bet that your strawberries are cranking out in comparison to ours. As I walked by this morning, I saw 4 that are on the verge. I will have to get up early to beat this crowd!

      Delete
  5. This year I made the switch to a year round style of garden, having overwintered more, so I am learning about how the kale, chard, carrots, beets and daikon radish that overwintered immediately want to seed! All that work bringing them through the winter and then having them bolt made me a little sad! I guess if I had thought it through I would have realized this, but still, I can mourn right? I keep taking off the tops, but I may have to pull out some rows. I have replanted all of them and the baby plants are coming along slowly.
    Here's the post I wrote earlier this week. http://barefootmommy.blogspot.com/2012/06/state-of-garden.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your images! I was away from home for 4 days and came back to a fantastic jungle. Being away made me more aware of the changes happening. I haven't written about it yet, but will today or tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.