Thursday, August 19, 2010

Breathe in love, breathe out fear

As I was watering my garden today, I was counting my spaghetti squash: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8ish and hoping for more. Then I looked at my zucchini plants which have amazing little clusters of new growth, HURRAY! Over to the acorn squash and we have the first signs of an actual squash there...fingers crossed.

And then...I turned to look at my strawberry plants and the tops were almost all gone! What was previously a dense bed of leaves two days ago, now had only 3 or 4 leaves left and everything else had been snipped right off. What immediately came to mind were deer, which we DO have on the island, but we have NEVER seen in our yard. The crazy thing is that they only chomped on the Tri-stars, they completely ignored the Seascapes (which have strawberries on them!). They really had to do some fancy footwork to get back to the area where this bed is and now I am TERRIFIED for the rest of the garden!! This is my plea: Attention all deer, please stay out of my garden. We have had a wonderful balance living together in harmony and I promise to leave the berries across the street just for you. But, please, I am begging, PLEASE stay out of my garden. Thank you for considering this.

To add to this little nightmare, my son walked up to me and said, "Mommy I was digging and there is some wacky, icky stuff." Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath.  So I waddled (that is what I do) around the corner and saw all of the dirt out of my newly seeded flower bed. "I wanted to get the weeds out for you", said my lil' gardener. Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath. "Thank you for wanting to help lil' man. Can you please help mommy put all of the dirt back into the flower bed?" Bygones.

Breathe in love, breathe out fear. Grab a ripe cherry tomato, pop it in your mouth and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.