Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Elf on a Shelf

A friend just reminded me that it is time to pull out Sharden. Who is Sharden you ask? Why he is the precious and precocious little elf who pops into your house some time before Christmas. Yes, June is probably to soon, but I think we are ready.

You see, Santa sends him to your house to keep an eye on your kids. You read the story to your kids and then they wake in the morning looking for him. You see, he is always there, just easier to find once they start looking for him. Last year, I brought him out two days after reading the story and once he disappeared earlier than usual. You see, the weather was treacherous outside, so we figured that he had to get a head start on his way to Santa.

Every night the elf flies off to Santa to report on the dsy's activities and your kids have to find him in the morning.

There are some rules to follow with your family's elf:

  • He must have a name. C named him Shardon because that is what he wanted to name K, but I just couldn't go for it.
  • It is important that he MUST NOT BE TOUCHED. If he is, he will disappear and then will not report to Santa. This would be tragic.

I had a lot of conversations with Shardon last year, he appeared shortly after the new babe was born. My favorite aspect of having him around was that I could tell him what a great big brother C was and how he was such a good helper. I could also ask him "not to look" when C was being, um, mischeivous and it usually stopped. Usually.

If you are starting this tradition with some older kiddos in the house, you can tell them that they must not have looked very hard for him in the past.

So thanks to the friend for reminding me to bring Sharden out. Let me know if you get involved in this fun Christmas tradition and share your Elfin stories.

10 comments:

  1. Our elf's name is Red and he will be coming here around Thanksgiving for his yearly visit! We have missed him! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharden? Too funny! I can't imagine why you didn't approve of that name for K!

    We don't have an elf on the shelf, although it sounds like a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVE Elf on the shelf! Ours in Cornelius. And it was a blast watching the kids try to find him every morning. I DO really like the idea of revealing him earlier though. Perhaps it would make for a more calm fall, eh?

    Gina from vB
    www.totallyfullofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful holiday tradition. I don't think my teens would go for it now - they are too jaded. I'm visiting from VB Friends to Remember. Come by sometime.

    Thanks,
    Dayna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this tradition, but I love the sound of it! My children would both be up at the crack of dawn to see if he was still in the garden each morning:) And it would be a great reminder for my daughter... otherwise she may not get the things on her Santa list (which she wrote in July:).
    Thanks so much for sharing,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Elf on the Shelf - now where did I put ours last year? I cannot wait to start this tradition again this year. Are you sure it's not too soon??????????

    Stopping in from VB!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea!
    Mine are all out of the believe in santa age, but when they were little that would have been a fun thing!
    From VB

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom bought my son one last year and I actually was thinking of pulling it out in early Sept. Now you have given me the motivation to go home and find that little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have Arnie who is our elf he comes out when the halloween decor goes in :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't have any elfs out for christmas but a small christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.