Monday, April 30, 2012

How Does Your Garden Grow? {May 1, 2012}




First things first. It is my mom's birthday today. Happy Birthday Mom! When she comes up to visit, I am going to take her on the Island Artists Tour all day and buy her something special. She is an incredibly talented artist and she appreciates my photos (because she is my mom) so I posted more than usual for her this week. Love ya Mom!


Wow. This last week blew right by me. It feels like the planets are aligning for me in so many ways. My garden is green, green and green and there is growth beyond just the weeds. My strawberry plants are booming thanks to our net/caging system we set up. The garlic looks like a group of sentinels around the garden's edge sending off alarms to curious noses as if to say, "There is nothing here for you." My onion starts are starting to look a little stronger. The herbs I planted inside have all germinated. The sunflowers the Lil Man and I planted last week have germinated. Our artichoke plant has it's first artichoke and you would think there was a new baby in the family. We are mighty proud. We have had three meals with asparagus. THREE! The peas are starting to send their tendrils out to search for the lattice work. Lettuce and spinach greens are almost ready to start plucking (I planted the seed really thick so I could thin by picking those tender baby leaves). My tulips are up and they haven't been chomped thanks to some deer repellent I put out...divine intervention or blood meal?

I have to be careful though. It would be easy to wallow in the offerings these spring plants are bringing forth, but there is more planting to be done. A lot more. Squash. A whole lotta squash. And gourds. Busy busy busy.


For those of you who didn't see my FB post, I had a bit of a hiccup in the herb department. The post went something like this: Note to self: make sure the pen you are using is indeed a Sharpie and not a dry erase marker when labeling your Mason jars full of seeds. Awesome, right? Well lovies, I have taken photos of all of them and I will post the pics later this week so YOU can help me tell them apart. I might have to give something away to the person who comes the closest to naming them correctly. There are a couple I can easily distinguish at this point. A couple. Did I mention that there are 8 jars with tiny little shoots in them? Ha ha ha ha.


Here is the photo montage from this week and please be sure to tell me how your garden is growing!


Artichoke
artichoke
Garlic
garlic
Leafy green lettuce
leafy green lettuce
Lemon balm
lemon balm, right?
Oregano
oregano
Spinach
young spinach plants
Pea tendrils
pea tendrils
Leafy greens
young lettuce shoots
White tulips
double white tulips - I really love these
Parrot Tulips
Parrot tulips - these are one of my favorite flowers in my garden
Have a wonderful week and get some dirt under those nails of yours!
Click here if you would like to see previous weeks of "How Does Your Garden Grow?"


30 comments:

  1. I need to transplant my germinated seeds round about now. I have been putting it off for some strange reason...Today will have to be the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ruth, I didn't even plant seeds inside this year. I had to go with a "if it won't grow directly in the ground, it isn't happening" approach. We did the sunflower seeds, but those are just for fun. Have fun getting yours into the ground!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful garden, mine is coming along, my potatoe plants are growing, just waiting for everything to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our potato plants are in, but nothing yet. I don't expect to see anything for a couple of weeks. My biggest fear is that the raccoons will dig them out. What varieties are you growing?

      Delete
  3. Val, first of all, Happy Birthday to your mom! I'm sure she's so proud of you! Your garden looks so perfect and all in a row. Please don't look at the pics I posted last night of my veggies and herbs. They don't look near as good as yours! Isn't it the most wonderful feeling to grow and eat your own food! Congrats on that beautiful garden!
    Blessings!
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Notice that all of the pictures are up close!! I tried to find your veggie photos. Where are they? And YES, eating from the garden is an incomparable experience. I am so happy to see you back in the "neighborhood"!

      Delete
  4. Wow, just wow!
    Your garden is teeming with greens! I love it!

    And happy birthday to your Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet. Lots of green is happening over here and it is incredibly cathartic. I really feel like I am growing alongside my garden this year. New blooms. New experiences.

      Delete
  5. Hi Val! I'm envious of your veggies...my garden plot is on the 'to-do' list for this weekend. I've been spending all my time weeding and tending to my flower beds...but it's been worth it! Here's some photos: http://mamawolfe-living.blogspot.com/2012/04/garden-greetings.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVERYONE, please stop by Jennifer's site and read her garden post. Beautiful language and flowers. If you are in need of a moment to exhale, give her a read. Thank you for coming by Jennifer!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Val! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I hope to share more with you as my garden grows...

      Delete
  6. My lettuce, spinach, radishes, kale, peas and carrots are coming up nicely. But so are the weeds. I"ll be on my hands and knees this week pulling those little buggers out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are at the mercy of those weeds. I didn't realize how lucky I was out first year, with our virgin soil. Best wishes to you when pulling this week. Just think about that marvelous rhubarb pie you posted!!

      Delete
  7. Lovely! So many good things growing. I need to plant a bunch of squash too. And yeah, it looks like lemon balm.
    Here's my garden tour in photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. First of all, I feel like doing cartwheels and screaming "WOO HOO" because here you are!!! No Blogger issues this week. Phew. Your post is gorgeous. I love that you have an appreciation for pea tendrils as well. They seem to be one of Nature's most perfect little features to me.

      What varieties of squash are you planting this year?

      Delete
  8. Wow, Val, those are gorgeous plants! We have a bunch of weeds still in my garden! We keep getting rained out on days that we set aside to plant. :( This Idaho weather really is hard to grow gardens. It's going to be too hot for my cold weather plants again this year. I'm so sad. Good news though is that my Lilies I planted last year are alive, my bleeding heart bushes survived their first year and already have blooms! And the raspberries have green leaves and pulled through their first year too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Amber. Congratulations on your lilies, Bleeding Hearts and raspberries!! I had a Bleeding Heart bush I threw into our compost pile one year and BOOM, like a phoenix, out of the compost pile it rose!

      Delete
  9. I have never seen parrot tulips... but they look amazing, Val! And I can't believe you grow all that in your garden, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Val, your garden is gorgeous. I love the baby artichoke! And you've already eaten asparagus and are almost ready to pick greens?? Wow! My spinach is just wee little baby spinach right now. I'm jealous!

    I'm perplexed about what to do with this way overgrown herb garden, because it's got some critters I do not like at all:

    http://www.whoopsidaisy-tonya.com/2012/05/how-does-your-garden-grow-ticked-off.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TIcks!!! Ugh. This is a new one for me. Does anyone have any advice to help Tonya out?

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! Right now my squash and melon are growing well, but the animals got into the rest of my seeds. So disappointed! This is my first year growing in dirt (I use a hydroponic system for years), so I'm learning as I go ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netting!!! We have to use it a ton or else we get ransacked. Last year I had to plant my peas THREE times. THREE! Look up my Towhee post. Me vs. one bird. I am envious that you can get melons growing, I haven't had an luck just yet.

      Delete
  12. Val everything looks so gorgeous!!! I'm very impressed with the artichoke!!! Way cool! Just an aside it was my mom's birthday yesterday! Right now my Iris's are getting ready to bloom and my Moss Rose is getting ready too!! Great photos!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, you are one excited woman with all of those exclamation marks. :) Thanks for stopping by sweet lady and keep that dishwasher in check.

      By the way, what color are your irises?

      Delete
  13. First, ♫ Happy birthday ♫ late to your mom. I love your garlic sentinels...all lined up in a row protecting the garden from invaders!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing and reading about all of the things I can't grow...really, it's such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. val, your garden looks wonderful!
    mine is doing so-so. our chives were majorly infested with some kind of lice, we tried the organic way of getting rid of them. now we have to see if it worked and if the plant survives.
    i'm happy some of my annual flowers have reseeded themselves and i'm even happier that i recognized what the little seedlings were right when i started ripping them out! (thinking they were weeds at first...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Val, I'm presenting you with a blog award today! Come check it out :)

    http://naturesnurtureblog.com/2012/05/07/another-award-kreativ-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.