Wednesday, September 14, 2011

CSA for the week of September 13

HERITAGE FARM


Last week's flowers
I have decided that I will start each of these with a link to Heritage Farm. I have had quite a few people ask me about how they can get involved and this is the easiest way, I think. Just go to the place you read about it and then CLICK on their link. Tah dah!


So, WOWZA! This is quite the assortment. I have to admit (while hiding my face behind the collar of my shirt) that I took my camera out there with no memory card in it. The other one had no battery. It has been that kind of week.


Here is this week's share:

Beets
Broccoli
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Cucumbers
Fennel
Garlic
Herbs: basil, parsley, summer savory, korean mint
Kale
Onions
Parsnips
Potatoes
Salad mix
Scarlet runner beans
Summer squash
Tomatoes: Heirlooms, stupice and cherry
Turnips


I have so many things I want to do with these veggies! My inlaws are visiting, so I will be introducing them to the Crash Potatoes along with some grilled summer squash and island steaks. Tonight we are going to have Chicken Tikka Masala and I think I am going to serve it over sauteed Chard (the last bit from last week) over rice and I will include some broccoli in the recipe itself. The cucumbers, cauliflower, lettuce and tomatoes have been making the freshest, tastiest salads and we will have a root veggie roast with beets, turnips and parsnips this weekend. In addition to all of this, we have a pumpkin that is ready to go, so I have promised my little man I would make him pumpkin pie AND we have about a dozen patty pan that are ready to go. Food week at the Curtises!!

Tip of the week: Grate your cauliflower into your salads. Great texture and it adds that wonderful cauliflower heartiness!

10 comments:

  1. What a great list of vegetables and thanks for the grating tip, I didn't know that. Have fun with your in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade Tikka Masala - be still my heart! Now that's a few veggies! One of these years we're going to sign up for a CSA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW I love the photo - how'd you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. great veggies! yummy. I love reading through your great posts with wonderful ideas. I've been trying to use more fruits and veggies lately in my recipes. thanks! coming to you from VB.

    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum! I love CSA's. We do something similar here and we all look forward to Saturday's to see what's in our basket.

    And, oh, those Crash Potatoes sound amazing! I love Ree, too!

    Visiting from vB!

    Mandi
    Smile and Mama With Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just talking to my husband last night about joining a CSA. It seems like a fun, and healthy way to incorporate new foods into our family's diet.

    Your Crash Potato recipe has been added to my list of foods to try. I love potatoes!

    What are scarlet runner beans?

    Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowza. I've always wanted to do the farm share, and it sounds totally amazing. Are you able to trade, say fennel and kale for something else? Do you find that your family easily makes use of all the treats in the box?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lacey, Scarlet Runner Beans are a type of green bean. Roll 'em in olive oil, roast them and then mix with minced garlic, salt and pepper...perfection.

    BBTS, There isn't any trading. This week I left the kale behind because I still had some left. It might be a good idea for them to have a board where people can say they are leaving something behind and then a swap could happen! I hand items we won't use off to friends and whatever is leftover on Sunday, I throw into a stock pot with a jar of my tomatoes and a box of chicken broth and make a soup base for something I will create this winter. Full freezer baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I LOVE green beans!! Thanks for responding to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Picture Of Flowers Looks Like It Would Be Great To Run In. Anna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.