Sunday, September 4, 2011

Jammin' - Blackberry and Nectarine Jam

When you live on San Juan Island you eat blackberries at summer's end. You go to your secret bushes (everybody has one) and pick. It is just what you do. You freeze them. You make cobblers, crisps and pies.    A friend of mine has a ritual with her kids; if they pick enough for a pie, she will make one for them. I love that. We usually freeze 5-6 gallon bags full and we aren't quite there just yet. 




This year, since I am exploring the world of jam, I decided to attempt to replicate a jam I bought more than my share of at $7 a jar last summer: Blackberry~Nectarine Jam. I think I did it. One batch was low sugar and the second was almost without sugar all together. Tart and tasty. This will surely bring the taste of summer to our warm, homemade french loaves this winter. My pie making friend that I mentioned before, she is a bread making goddess and she is a constant source of inspiration. Check out her latest goal to see why I am so lucky to be her friend.


So, jam. I used Ball's recipe with their no / low sugar pectin. Good stuff. On their site, they have a wonderful "Pectin Calculator" that has specific measurements for the number of jars you want to make.
Here is the recipe I used. I split the fruit between the berries and the nectarines. On the container it says you can mix, on here it doesn't mention it. Also, they only refer to peaches on here, however, every site I went to said to treat nectarines just like peaches with the exception that you do not have to skin them. In addition, after I brought the mixture to it's initial boil, I used my handmixer 5-6 times to smooth it out a bit. Easy peasy. 



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I'm dying to try your jam, Val. Can I swap you a loaf for a jar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would be nice to have the recipe the ball website does nothing to give you a recipe.!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.