Sunday, March 18, 2012

Weekly Menu - Week of March 19

This week was different from most, the Good Apple was gone all week and as it turned out, of course, I had a sick babe on my hands. My wonderful island friends family brought us into their homes for dinner. I was so thankful for the reprieve and it was a good reminder to return the favor to friends who are on this road solo. It was a tough, humbling experience. 

The pictures were lacking this week because, well, I just couldn't pull it together. I DID capture Friday's dinner because I HAD to. It is one of our favorites and I can't wait to write it up. 

On the subject of pictures, I hereby declare that I will no longer ruin your palette with yellow toned photos. If they are yellow, they will not get posted. That's all there is to it. Now, this is going to be more easily achieved between now and September because there will be sunlight at dinner time. So basically, there are no excuses. Just sayin', throw me a reminder come October that you don't like to see yellow food. Sorry!

THE MENU

Monday- Grilled chicken breasts marinated with Trader Joe's Soyaki sauce*, steamed broccolini with balsamic vinegar served over greens and rice. Yum! (Did I mention the hot fudge sundaes with homemade whipped cream? Thank you A.S. for making the dessert run and making the sundaes with perfect whipped cream).

Tuesday- Turkey meatloaf, roasted potatoes and carrots, spinach salad with oranges, craisins and blue cheese crumbles. Dessert here too! Blueberry Streusel Pie. Num num num. 

Wednesday - Ravioli with Muir Glen Roasted Garlic Spaghetti Sauce, sautéed zucchini and garlic (from last summer's garden!) and green salad. 

ThursdayChicken Enchilada Soup from Mental Chew A good friend tried this recipe and suggested adding lime. GREAT idea!

Friday- Nicaraguan Dinner, this is one of our favorite meals and it is always made with love by one of our favorite family members. Pork with Achiote and Lime, Cabbage salad with a vinaigrette, and Dirty Rice (beans and rice). 

SaturdaySesame Noodles, again. We had just returned back to the island. We were tired. I was exhausted to be honest. This time I used Yakisoba Noodles and it was just as good, if not better. 

Sunday - out to dinner for the Good Apple's 40th birthday at Roche Harbor's MacMillan Room
Check out this menu: 

Cave-Aged Maytag Blue Cheese Salad - America's oldest working dairy crafts this naturally aged cheese. Garnished with toasted slivered almonds, hardcooked egg and Maytag Blue Cheese.

Potato-Crusted Scallops with Smokey Bacon-Onion Relish (from the menu) Alaskan Weathervane scallops lightly breaded with potato, then seared golden. With Rain Shadow greens topped with smokey bacon-onion relish around our Yukon Gold mashed potatoes.

AND dessert. We will be rolling out.

The kids stayed home with a sitter and ate a lasagna I had in the freezer, made by one of my island angel friends. 

Next week, it is all the Good Apple's choice since it is his birthweek. Hold on to your defibrillators, here we come.

*Trader Joe's Soyaki is also known as SoyVay on other market shelves. We even saw it at Costco this week. (We stocked up on organic chicken and turkey!!!)


4 comments:

  1. I wish I were your next door neighbour (I would invited myself over for the Nicaraguan Dinner... it sounds and looks awesome)!

    Wishing you a wonderfully delicious week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, Come on over! I have to admit that we were the guests for that wonderful dinner. Next week I will be giving it a go on my own. Stay tuned to see if I actually pull it off. It sounds so simple when she explains how she makes it, but the flavors are so incredible and the pork is so tender. Don't even get me started on the rice and beans.

      I hope you are having a wonderful week as well!

      Delete
  2. Oh Val, I hope your wee one is feeling better! I am with Jennifer about the dinner. We just need to all get together and prepare some of these meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally TODAY! She seems to be 100%. And Tracey, I would do just about anything to visit that front porch of yours for a cup of tea and the chance to make dinner with you for your crew. Your little corner of the world looks like something out of a storybook.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.