Saturday, July 2, 2011

Deer, Sprinklers and Sounds

Ok, so I sent my kid barking after deer. Whatever.

I am beginning to feel a wee bit neurotic about protecting my garden. Is this normal?

Time spent relocating motion detector sprinkler this afternoon, 10 minutes. Really?!? Really. I had to get it just right. Protect the beds and the strawberries. Protect the pumpkins and watermelons. I won't even mention how many times I got tagged in the face by the #%?! thing. Yes, I had turned it off, thank you. But then I kept forgetting, again and again. I hope my neighbor saw some of the display and was entertained. I was just getting pissy.

Now I am sitting in my favorite chair, watching "Master Chef" and listening. The sprinkler has gone off a couple of times. Pressing my face against the window to the dark outdoors doesn't provide me with much of a view. Maybe if I press it a l i t t l e bit harder, it will make a difference. No. I can't see squat. Fingers crossed. Cursing under my breath (everyone is asleep). Ugh.

What extent would you go to to protect your harvest?

Please share.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I thought FOR SURE having a dog and her scent would deter those pests... but, alas, it has never helped! How I protect my harvest is a sad one... I have downsized to containers and so far, only a few aphids on my snap peas, no slugs in the strawberries and my herbs are awful small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I thought FOR SURE having a dog and her scent would deter those pests... but, alas, it has never helped! How I protect my harvest is a sad one... I have downsized to containers and so far, only a few aphids on my snap peas, no slugs in the strawberries and my herbs are awful small!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe that there was a time we had NO fences and our gardens thrived? Some time in the early nineties the population exploded. After many half-baked attempts at protecting gardens that failed we finally bit the bullet and built a 10 foot tall fence. One's idea of beauty can adapt. In deer country no fence = no garden. Forget anything else. They adapt, the get used to things, every year they start eating a plant they never touched before. More of them need to be turned into venison.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.