Thursday, July 14, 2011

Need / Want / Like / Love - Peas & Strawberries

The conversation goes a little like this: "C, I am heading into the garden to grab some food for tonight. Would you like to join me?" "No Mom, I am going to play with my cars". "I am taking your sister with me". "Ok, have fun". Alrighty then.


But I  know that I have an unfair advantage in my ploy to get my creative little car player outside. With his sister on my back, I show up at the picture window, a juicy, red strawberry in hand, and I pass it to the baby. A little response, but not enough to fight the pull of the cars. My next attempt. "Ooooooooh Lil' Miss, do you see those HUGE snap peas? I bet you and I could just eat them ALL UP!" Listening. Waiting.




"Nooooooooooooooooooooo!" Out he charges. Boots are on and his hands are thrust forward to reach for a sugary snap pea. We have waited and worked hard for these little babies and he knows it. 


Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. The sound of my little 7 month old on my back who skipped right over the usual purees that most babies love and into curried chicken, pears, blueberries, strawberries and snap peas. I am still adjusting to this, but she loves it ALL.


Next thing I know. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. This time it is from my little man. "Oooooooh that was a good one. Mom, can I have a strawberry and then another pea?" Music to my ears. "Dig in and snack away little man". 


We need the food our garden provides for our table, but the fact that my kids love the garden and picking sweet treats from within sends me to the clouds and back. Love.

1 comment:

  1. My children still would rather eat vegetables right out in the field than prepared on the table! Good for your wee ones!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.