Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sharing Sunday: mamawolfe

One of the many reasons I have come to love Voiceboks is meeting fellow mamas like Jennifer Wolfe.  She is an 8th grade teacher, just like me, so I HAD to love her right off the bat. Teachers of tweens and teens are a special breed of people and we get each other. I knew I would be a follower of her blog when I read this post. I have been hooked ever since.


Enjoy her photographic tour of her hometown and PLEASE make sure you stop by her site, Mama Wolfe, to tell her how much you love her! Leave a comment at the bottom for me about which of her posts is YOUR favorite. I find myself wandering all through her site, reading about her stories of her kids, both at home and at school and I long, a little, for my teaching days. 


Thank you Jennifer for hopping on over here to Mental Chew and sharing your wonderful gift with us!


=~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==~==


Take A Walk With Me: Davis, California 
by Jennifer Wolfe

Spend a weekend in Davis and you won't be disappointed. A small university town located in between the Pacific Ocean and the Sierras, Davis is a magical place to live. Come take a Saturday morning walk with me and I'll show you what I mean! 
Starting near my house, it's an easy walk to campus. Living in a university town means there's always something interesting going on. The University of California, Davis, adds about 33,000 students to our town each year. First started in 1905 as an offshoot of U.C. Berkeley, Davis has become well known for its strong academic programs. In fact, it's the third largest public university in California!
Davis is known for being a beautiful place to live. I love walking under these huge walnut trees on my way to campus. The campus itself is 5,300 acres, making it the largest of all the University of California campuses. 
The Egghead sculptures, by Robert Arneson, are scattered all over campus. This is one of my favorites-it sits in front of the library. 
My dog Cola and I spend hours walking along tranquil Putah Creek which runs right through the campus. There is amazing wildlife to see- rabbits, ducks, birds, turtles, and even an occasional peacock keep us busy! 
Sometimes it's nice just so sit and watch the world go by. 
Most times of the day and night the arboretum is full of walkers, joggers, and students studying wildlife or tending the many international plant species growing along the creek. 
All the plant diversity creates beautiful pockets of color that change with the seasons. 
Moving off campus towards downtown we find Central Park , currently home to a peaceful Occupy Davis camp. Central Park is our version of London 's Speakers Corner and Berkeley 's People's Park, and there's always something interesting going on there. 
One of the most popular attractions in Central Park is our Farmer's Market. Open Saturday mornings and Wednesday nights, residents are able to take advantage of living in the fertile Central Valley of California. Davis is one of the most bike friendly cities in the US-many people take advantage of our superb bike paths and commute to work, school, and for pleasure. 
 Davis is a very welcoming city-unless you're trying to bring your pet into the market!


Fresh organic produce, delicious prepared food, artisans and live music ensure that young and old will all have a great time at the market. 
Don't you think you'd like to take a trip and come to visit? I know you'll enjoy discovering everything our great town has to offer-there's so much more to see! Please visit my blog, mamawolfe, to read more! Stop by http://mamawolfe-living.blogspot.com and check it out!

Save 20% on Linen colored Le Creuset pieces from Williams-Sonoma. Limited time only!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Val! What a great introduction...and like you, I'm so glad we met!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inviting Jennifer to be your guest blogger. She did a great job of photographing and describing Davis. I should know, I live here too and am a friend of Jennifer's :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.