Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Traveling with Kids

I chuckle when I think about how my perspective of "normal" and "safe" have changed since my two littles have joined in on my adventures.

First priority is to keep these babes happy.

Food: squeezable organic apple sauce, Graham crackers, raisins, water, juice boxes (in flight special treat for our household), dried cherries and, of course, the always necessary O's. We ate a yogurt just before boarding. Oh yes, and there are the super special only when flying treats of gum and peanut M&Ms. Ok, food...check.

Necessities: diapers, wipes, blanket to change on, extra shirt for mom, extra clothes for the babe...check.

Entertainment: 3 Hot Wheels cars, new mini markers, coloring book, drawing pad, blank stickers to color, iPad with headphones and new Sesame Street downloaded (in emergencies, haven't had to pull out electronics yet) plus some crazy "fill the time" apps, some funny teeth, glasses and a red nose to put on if things get tense or need a change of pace and a kaleidoscope...check.


What I did not foresee was that our seat would be reassigned and we would be split up. Little Man and the Good Apple up front, Little Miss and I just behind...in the middle. On one side we had a doting, lovable, patient and accommodating grandma...the other a hypochondriac. Seriously. Face mask on panicking when the Lil Miss touched her leg. I was horrified for the anxiety we were probably causing her. The woman by my husband was not open to switching seats. Ok.

We have learned to roll with the punches and I think that is part of travel survival. Little Miss was passed back and forth which meant I had time to just relax and write a post. Ahhhhh.

Overall, regardless of what you have packed, having an attitude of just going with the flow eases the stress of travel and can bring unexpected surprises. When I travelled with students "go with the flow" was always our motto and now I found it even more important when traveling with my own family. Now breathe deep and reflect on how some things never change and also, how they are different.

Happy Holiday Travels!

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Your post is very timely as I am going to be traveling with my girls these Holidays, but it won't be a plane trip but a road trip so it is a bit more tricky.
    On Thursday we are going to Rhode Island from Brooklyn and it's an almost 4 hour ride so we'll see.
    Lot's of snacks and movies for the Ride are essential!
    I had not started thinking about all these things yet so I better prepare!
    Hope your travels are good! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great attitude you have while traveling with little ones. I've traveled twice by plane across country by myself (with my two little girls). The first time I had to do it I was in full anxiety mode. My youngest still had to be in a car seat on the plane and I had to carry a stroller and deal with my 4yr old. It was a nightmare. But we made it.

    The most recent time, was just this summer...the girls were 2 and 6. It went so much more smoothly and I was far more patient and mellow than before. I think a lot of times our attitude about traveling can make or break us. It's the whole "power of our thoughts" outcome.

    Wishing you and yours a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

    ~Hugs,
    Rosann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you who travel via airplane with small children. I would be a wreck!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the last thing you said: just go with the flow. There really are certain things beyond our control. Especially with kids. I know of countless times I've envisioned a situation going on way and somehow, the little boss man just turns it upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips to traveling with children! Go with the flow is some of the best advice we can get as parents, whether we are traveling or staying at home this holiday. I hope you and your family have a great holiday and a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post- and it makes me so thankful all of my family is close by! I'm all for electronics, though- when we make the 4-hour drive to visit extended family at Christmas, we used to dread it because of all of the tears. Then we discovered dual-screen DVD players, and it is all smooth sailing- even on the 8-hour trip to Florida!
    Happy Thanksgiving, and safe (and peaceful!) travels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I am brave enough to travel by plane with my kids...lol. We road trip everywhere. I go to the dollar store and load up on new things for them just for the trip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. How I loathe traveling with kids to Florida. Maybe it's because I always fly without the hubby on the way down. I really like your positive attitude to traveling, since I fill with hives on an airplane. Have a happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe... I enjoyed this post! The picture just made it so much fun! We've only had to fly with kids once, and it was before our daughter was born. Our son was one and we flew to Florida to visit my grandma. I was hoping my son would sleep the whole way, but he was too excited, and he spent most of the time jumping up and down on our laps and squealing.

    He also did some hanging on and punching of the seat back in front of us. Fortunately there was a rather tolerant person in the seat. I'm pretty sure at one point my son had a chunk of the poor guy's hair in his little chubby fist! LOL

    Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    Smiles, Jenn @Misadventures in Motherhood

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and comments. The back and forth is what it is all about! If you would like to leave a link to one of your posts, follow this format in your comment and it will be a hyperlink.